Sunday, January 5, 2014

Words Matter


Those who follow me on social media know my love for quotes. I have always found these short combinations of words wisely put together a great source of inspiration and insights.
I think of them as a very indicative trace that we live behind, indicative of our philosophy, believes, personality.
Although our existence is defined and characterized by our deeds, words matter. These tiny extracts of wisdom called quotes are just one more evidence of that.

In his book The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz’s first agreement is 'Be impeccable with your words'. 
Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
I must admit that whenever I am upset, angry or heart, I find it very difficult to keep that agreement. I must refrain from any re-action and ask myself: is my impulse to use my words to react to the situation and/or person in alignment with the first agreement?

A few days ago, just before the old year expired and we all welcomed the new one with celebrations, I received a message, a short reply, that could easily reduce me to tears. I remembered the second agreement: 'Don’t take anything personally', and I breathed. When the shock of the aggressive and mean reply had faded I reminded myself how my deeds were proving that message wrong. 
Finally I laughed.
Having this thing for quotes made me think that if those were the sender’s last words, her final quote for the year, it was a terrible thing for her. Who wants to be remembered with words used in the direction of resentment?

New awareness and insights:

1. Words matter, weather we like it or not. In Greek there is a saying "The tongue has no bones, yet it crushes bones". Use your tongue (words) to build something positive, something loving and meaningful, not to break.

2. What would happen if we all thought of our words as our last words, our quotes that would be left behind to remind to others who we were and what we were about?




No comments:

Post a Comment