Friday, January 10, 2014

No Grey Areas

Under the most stressed circumstances today - waiting outside a surgery room - I had the unexpected pleasure to meet a fascinating person. I have to confess that I wasn't very keen to talk with him, as I was biased due to his former activity (ex-politician). After 5 minutes talking my opinion of him was changed. Then, he gave me a copy of an old interview of his where I read "Freedom is a strange thing, you cannot have half freedom".

For some reason it reminded me of several things. It reminded me of Helen Keller's words "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing", of selective - half justice, of selective kindness, selective compassion. 
Maybe for some things there cannot be any grey areas, any flexibility. We cannot be selectively nice (either we are nice or not); we cannot be flexibly ethical; we cannot have half rights. 

Note to self:
Speak with people even reluctantly. Let yourself be surprised by them more often. 
Some things can only be black or white. There are no grey areas, no in-between. 

No comments:

Post a Comment