Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Speak Up!


Today I had a conversation with a dear colleague about an unpleasant situation. While we were talking she confessed her demotivation due to specific behaviors. She found them very inappropriate, yet stayed like the majority of the people witnessing them, silent. I replied with Edmund Burke’s words: “all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing”.
We were heading towards an outcome that was going to destroy the efforts of years and where the “evil” would triumphed.  Then I confessed my own frustration for the silence of the others, that none stood up for what they (we) considered right.

Most of my life has been defined by Confucius words: "To see and listen to the wicked is already the beginning of wickedness." I have refused to silently listen and see the wicked, which brings me often to trouble. But then, I know I am true to myself and in peace, although many times I have to face undesired conflicts, even bullying, just to shut up.

Nobody likes conflicts. Nobody wants to engage in situations that are not what they were supposed to be, or where it seems pointless to speak up. Yet not being heard is no reason for silence. And if all you need is a little courage in order for you to speak, consider that as a testing point.
“Courage is not simply one the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point” (C.S. Lewis)

Speak up and remember: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” (Bishop Desmond Tutu)

I speak up. Sometimes I am heard, sometimes I get into trouble. All of the times I stay true to my commitment to integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment