Friday, January 24, 2014

Patience. Always a virtue?


If Kafka was right and “there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness”, then I must have lived a very sinful life.
Although I refuse to get rid of laziness, my impatience has not been so fortunate. I worked hard and diligently to learn how to have patience, which I soon realized had more to do with tolerance and trust – at least in my case.

Finishing one more meeting today I was happy to have practiced that virtue and been able to listen and collaborate better.  Disconnecting from work, I reconnected with the other reality I am living in; injustice, cruelty, news full of stories that make no sense in a civilized society.
Ironically I stumbled upon George Washington’s words: “The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.” More than 200 years ago and still valid.

Thinking about all the news, current circumstances, things that can make anyone react and respond, and looking at the lack of such reactions and responses, some other words came to my mind: “Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.” (Ambrose Bierce)

How much patience is enough? There is courage and resilience. And then there is inertia and hopelessness.

I cannot deny the value of patience, yet there are times where I cannot help but wonder if George Jackson was right: “Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it’s cowardice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment