Friday, April 25, 2014

Everything in Moderation



These two magnets and their messages have been decorating my refrigerator these past years, serving as daily reminders (plus I like the colors). There is only a slight variation to the first one, in my head, replacing “expect” with “do”. I frequently follow these messages with no sense of boundaries.
Looking at them today, I realized that these two messages have also become my worst advisors. I have been constantly neglecting the main reminder I keep at the bottom right side of my desktop: a scale!


As an activator, I tend to forget to pause, to keep my balance, to recognize that there are limits and they have to do with self-care. Spending the entire day in bed yesterday due to illness was the perfect opportunity to see these magnets through different eyes today. I didn’t draw that scale (action - pause) five years ago randomly. It was part of a power tool I was creating to use with my clients and which I very much needed four years ago when I suffered a burnout. Hence I stuck it where I would be able to see it constantly.

Yes, I do, risk, care and dream more. Yes, I doubt limits; I know most of them are inside our minds. Yet these minds do not have limitless energy.
Time to add one more reminder, much bigger and brighter, from the ancient Greek philosophers this time: Μέτρον άριστον (Everything in moderation), by Kleoboulos!


No comments:

Post a Comment