Sunday, April 13, 2014

Count Your Blessings


Today was my niece’s concert. A gallery, a beautiful space full of light and art was hosting a recital by the young students of the local conservatory.
Little pianists, guitarists and violinists were playing one after the other their solos or duets. As I sat next to the stage, I turned my head to see the crowd (their parents):
I saw people disconnected from the present, unable to appreciate what they had right there, right now. They were in a place surrounded by beauty, the art on the walls and the music in the air, played, performed before them and just for them by their own children; I do nor remember seeing any smiles. I do not remember seeing appreciation and happiness in those faces.

A couple of hours later, at the supermarket, I was approached by the local social supermarket volunteers. They were sharing information and encouraging shoppers to contribute. They run a soup kitchen and help out destitute families with basic food supplies.
While I was buying what they had told me they needed the most, I was overwhelmed with a mix of emotions. I felt angry, frustrated and sad. The people at the concert had everything before them yet they had no idea. They refused to look around, to feel gratitude and joy and to give their child and the rest of the children their warmest smile.

Count your blessings. Always. They are more than you think.  


No comments:

Post a Comment