Friday, June 13, 2014

The Adventure of Life


“I could see how my life was going to be 20 years from now. I knew exactly where I would be, what I would be doing and I didn’t like what I was seeing at all.”

I was listening to my friend carefully, at the same time reflecting on my inability to answer the simple question “what are you going to do this weekend?”.

There we were; the two extremes: one who could see everything about his life in the future and one who had absolutely no idea, not even for the following day.

Around 20 years ago, I had my entire future before me: a very organized, safe life. I felt unhappy even at the thought of it and I left the country (and that future) immediately.

Not knowing where I am going to be is not at all scary. For me, insecurity is not about the future. It is about the here and now: how to overcome the difficulties of an adverse environment. The future? It can only be exciting, like an adventure, and I do not need to know every part of it, like in all genuine adventures.  




No comments:

Post a Comment