Sunday, June 29, 2014

On Identity


Driving home yesterday I was reflecting on my identity. Having grown up in a Greek family, having received a Greek and French education and having spent most of my childhood holidays with Flemish friends, I found my freedom, true identity and the culture that defined me the most in my hometown of two years: Barcelona.

Every culture, every education, every person, teacher, or environment can influence us only to the point we allow it to do so. It’s not so much a case of how long we will be exposed to it, him or her. The influence and its impact depend only on our willingness, openness and how it, he or she can resonate with what we already have inside us and waits to be revealed or find the voice of expression.

For me it was Barcelona and although the influences are countless and on too many different levels and fields – arts, business, education, structures, architecture, planning etc – I distinguish the one that came to my mind driving: Solidaritat *

Solidaritat, in a very conscious, organized, humanistic form.

What about you? What did you or will you allow to shape and define your identity?

*Solidarity in catalan 

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog entry of yours, Katerina. The more conscious we become, the more we use our self-reflective critical thinking skills, the less we can be subject to some of these shaping influences, and the more truly empowered we can become.

    ReplyDelete