Sunday, March 23, 2014

To Float or Not to Float?


There is one thing that piques my curiosity and excites my anticipation to try it, yet at the same time provokes a kind of fear and anxiety: isolation tanks, also know as sensory deprivation tanks.

I am excited with the potential that such an experience can hold. What would it be like to reflect at such levels? What new awareness could be gained? 
At the same time, the idea of being deprived of my senses, of disappearing, scares me. I remember losing my sensory faculties during a deep relaxation session, but I had the safety net of a trainer by my side who helped my come out of it.
And although I found unexpected peace once when I happened to be left alone in a cave exploration (while waiting for the rest of the team I turned off my flashlight to save battery), in the absolute silence and darkness I could still sense my body.

How would it be to be cut off from all of one's senses? To be absolutely alone with one’s thoughts? What new things would I learn? 

Here is one more thought: Has our life become so 'busy', so hectic, so full of stimulus that meditation alone is not enough? That in order for us to find deep relaxation, deep self-reflection and connection with our deeper thoughts at such levels, we need to build chambers to isolate ourselves there?

No comments:

Post a Comment