Monday, March 24, 2014

Bravery and Decision Making


“The problem is that I am coward”, I said.
“You are not a coward Katerina, you are indecisive”, my professor replied. Back then, in 1994, I had no idea how right he was. I viewed myself as someone craven, unable to go after what they wanted.

Today I was reminded of that conversation during a mentoring session. We were talking about goal setting and the analogy of a sailing boat in the sea. If there is no clear destination, how can decisions on the route, the sails, even the supplies needed be made? The right or wrong decision isn’t just a moral thing. It’s also a matter of what is right or wrong with regard to our route, our destination. What it makes sense to do, what the potential is and what is really important.

Back in 1994, I had no idea of who I was and what the goals that mattered to me were. I think I am not alone in this. How many of us grow up with an imposed idea of what we should be doing?

I went on with my life convinced I was gutless. You can imagine my surprise the first time the report of a strengths assessment I had taken highlighted bravery as my top strength. I took the assessment again and again to make sure. It didn’t make any sense.

Today it all makes sense. With a clear idea of who I am, with the confidence that I can do anything I set myself to do – and there are too many things, too many goals on my list – I have no difficulty whatsoever to make any decision.

Let a boat be in the sea. It can float in any direction depending on the currents, it can go towards any destination, depending on the command, it can sink or it can travel eternally. It can also take us places. Places we have always wanted to see and be in and sometimes we didn’t even know it.


          "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
          "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
          "I don't much care where –" said Alice.
          "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
                                    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll, 1865




No comments:

Post a Comment