Friday, March 14, 2014

Delays Worth Having



Driving in a super hurry to be on time for a business meeting (my work requires me to be always on time), I saw a car immobilized outside my favorite bakery. I definitely had no time to stop, not even one minute to spare. It was the first meeting with these clients and you know what they say about first impressions…

Well, I did not hesitate one moment about what I should do: I stopped my car and went to see what happened to the other driver. It was a mother with her two daughters and they all seemed a little embarrassed. The mother had miscalculated the gasoline and had run out of gas. I left her with her daughters and within a few minutes I had help for her and the car.
Soon the mother was able to drive again with her daughters.
I thought I had solved the problem, but had I? We live at a time where it is not unlikely that parents have to choose between putting gas in their car or buying bread for their children. 
I had no idea why the bakery shop employees – where I asked for help – were thanking me so much. Hadn't I done what anyone would do?
Leaving I noticed that at least 8 people were around that could have helped and had done nothing.

Reality check: I am still human.

I arrived at my meeting late. And I have never been proudest of my delay.



No comments:

Post a Comment