Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Question Your Questions



Two years ago I was invited to speak in front of an audience of 17years old students who were about to start the next chapter of their lives – college – and were very nervous and uncertain about the decisions that would shape their future.
They were waiting with anxiety to hear from me the secret, the magic answer to all the questions about their futures.
I remember I told them that we look desperately for the answers when we should be looking for the questions. It’s the questions that matter.
“The one who asks questions doesn’t lose his way.”
African Proverb
I am in a profession – coaching – that occasionally has been described as "the Art of the perfect question".
With each client we go on a treasure hunt of the perfect question that will enlighten, give the answers and solutions needed, provide ideas and clarity, create perspectives and awareness.

These are the questions that we welcome when we are open to growth and opportunities.
What happens when we are not? I was reminded of this today:

We think that we are seeking the questions that are going to give us the answers, while what we are looking for are the questions that are going to give us the answers we want to hear.

Food for thought and a good topic for discussion with my students next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment