Friday, August 22, 2014

Getting over the Drama



A couple of weeks ago, I asked a friend to stop me if I start talking about any life dramas. 
“It's not drama”, she said referring to a specific situation. “It's an outrageous situation you are in”, she added. 
It didn't matter. I was very much preoccupied and influenced by Lisa' s latest blog post. And I decided to stop any negative narrative, justified or not. 

Of course we need to be able to express and not repress our stories. bad or good. We need to receive empathy and understanding, or just vent. We need to articulate a situation if our goal is to find a way out. We must learn to express our feelings and emotions and the things that frustrate us. 
So, there must be a reason for us to tell the story and here is my point: why am I sharing this story?
What is the reason I narrate my 'drama'? What is the purpose of telling this story? And how many times do I need to do that?

My request to my friend was very simple: “Next time you hear me talk about this again, stop me and ask these two questions: ‘What can be done?’ and ‘What will you do?’”

I think that in most situations, in most dramas in our life, there is always something that can be done. The question here, in this post, is how we use our story. Does it become our past, an experience, a lesson, something that teaches us how to navigate through it, or does it become who we are and what ultimately defines how we show up in our lives?

The choice is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment