Thursday, November 10, 2011

Making a Story Happen


Searching the web for some resources, I stopped at the following: 
“If the point of life is the same as the point of a story, the point of life is character transformation. If I got any comfort as I set out on my first story, it was that in nearly every story, the protagonist is transformed. He's a jerk at the beginning and nice at the end, or a coward at the beginning and brave at the end. If the character doesn't change, the story hasn't happened yet. And if story is derived from real life, if story is just a condensed version of life, then life itself may be designed to change us so that we evolve from one kind of person to another”.
Donald Miller, 
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life


I do not remember anymore what my research was about. What I had just come across was far more important.

It reminded me of my reply every time someone made a remark on my “career change”. “No, I do not change my career path, I evolve it”, was always my reply.

What was more important, it reminded me of the commitment I had taken, when I was 13 years old and deeply inspired by my school teacher, to live a life of constant self-improvement. To become the kindest person I could be. To live a life of bravery; To never surrender to conformity; To re-examine everything I know and I am; To live a life of transformation for the better.

Last weekend, I had the privilege to be part of another transformation. For practically 54 hours young people in Athens engaged themselves at the first STARTup live Athens. They made an admirable breakthrough, overcoming the fear and insecurity under which we live now in Greece, and they stepped outside their comfort zone in order to learn, improve and evolve.
The motivation was their startup idea and project.

The result?
Well, if life is a story that we write, and if the story isn’t created until the transformation has happened, then the result was many beautiful Stories J



3 comments:

  1. Nicely said, Katerina. Life is made up of many stories and ends up at some transformation or other, since life's events undoubtedly affect and change us in one way or the other. But, if we strive to evolve, to constantly grow and to consciously become better people, our life's design will ultimately lead us to a positive transformation, thus making our story a beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete