Monday, January 9, 2012

Dutifully Cheerful


By far, one of my favorite actors of all time is David Niven.
When asked why he seemed so incredibly cheerful all the time, Niven would reply:
"Well, old bean, life is really so bloody awful that I feel it’s my absolute duty to be chirpy and try and make everybody else happy too."

Now, anyone that knows a few basic things about his life, knows his life wasn’t all rosy, that he had his share of tragedies.

That made me go 18 years back, when I expressed my desire to do my practice with clinically depressed patients; a fellow student asked “why you, such a cheerful person want to do that?” ignoring my sense of duty as Niven had expressed it.

Maybe the best and bigger smiles come from the cheerful persons who have experienced the “bloody awful” side of life and work hard to ensure the happy side of it for others.

So, next time you see someone cheerful do not assume that his life is problem free. Maybe, it’s just someone fulfilling his/her duty ;) .

No comments:

Post a Comment